Sunday, February 19, 2012

ERROR: The cabinet file 'Sql.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used

As the title indicates, I'm having this error during installation. It occurs when I try to install
the "Management Studio" part of the program. I've tried a bunch of things like
copying to hard drive and installing, but to no avail. To isolate the problem, i've even tried removing Reporting services, since at the time of failure it seems to be trying to install/configure the Microsoft.Reporting Services dll.

Additionally, I have SQL Express installed (installed it separately, not as part of the SQL 2005 DVD), VS 2005, .NET Framework 2.0, SQL Management Studio Express CTP. Could the Management Studio Express be causing a problem?

Please note:
Although the error is about missing / corrupt Sql.cab, I have searched the entire dvd for the said file, but there is no file called Sql.cab on the dvd. Am I missing something?

Any solution would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

We don't support Management Studio Express and Management Studio side by side on the same box. Remove Management Studio Express and I bet you'll be OK.

Alternate theory, if that doesn't work: possibly your media is corrupt, as the error message says.

|||

Hi Paul,

By installling SQL 2005 , I detected the same error.

Is there any solution for it ?

Thanks in advance

Marnix

|||Same Problem on the Sql2005 32bit developer cd. It trys to find dtserver.exe off of the sql.cab file and its not found. This is on an installed sql 2005 server, that is sp1 when I go back and try to install the integration services.|||

The exact error message I get when trying to install the services are:

Integration services install
Product version 9.00.1399.06

The File 'msdtssrvr.exe. cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in cabinet file 'sql.cab'. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the cd-rom, or a problem with this package.
error 1334

When I try to install reporting services
Product version 9.00.1399.06

The cabinet file 'sql.cab; required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the cd-rom, or a problem with this package.
error 1335

Does anyone have suggestions? The only other point of interest is that this sql server is running on a Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2. The OS running is Windows 2003R2 enterprise sp1.

I've also gone back and tried to install after copying the cd to the virtual server.

|||

Resolved!...

I decided to try a command line install of the components i wanted to add..

start /wait setup.exe ADDLOCAL=SQL_Engine INSTANCENAME=MSSQLSERVER UPGRADE=SQL_Engine SKUUPGRADE=1 /qb

That did not apparently help me, so I started searching the install cd for other options...

I ended up going to the install disc into the setup folder and running SqlRun_DTS.msi. It generated one error, apparently not fatal, continued and then allowed me to install the integration services off of the CD.

I've also reapplied the Sql2005 SP1 since I can't even run an csv file import without it ;)

Hope this helps others.

|||

That sounds encouraging. I'll give it a spin and post back with my results. If someone else tries it please post back too.

Update:
Hmm still no juice. I tried to run the SqlRun_Tools.msi (that's where the problem was) and this is what I'm now getting...

"A component that you have specified in the ADD_LOCAL property is already installed. To upgrade the existing component, refer to the template.ini and set the UPGRADE property to the name of the component."

I have absolutely no idea where or what template.ini is. I have also removed all SQL Express items (i.e. SQL Express Management Studio, SQL Express Books Online, SQL Express - the server).

|||

Is Your Problem Solved

if Yes Please Tell meWhat is The Solution Of That One

Because I also Face Same Problem

Gaurav Kumar Jain

E-Mail:-- monu_jain2k4@.yahoo.com

|||I ended up installing those components from the Enterprise edition cd (the developer edition was throwing the error in my case).|||The components were corrupted on my Developer edition dvd. I installed them from the Enterprise Edition DVD. Just insert a different cd when doing the install and choosing that for the other components.|||

Hi people,

I have been having this problem and I believe this issue stems from the fact that we are all trying to install from either a virtual CD/DVD loaded from an ISO image or a CD/DVD drive shared across the network or the CD/DVD contents have been copied to a directory on the server itself.

The solution?

The only way I have gotten a trouble free installation of SQL 2005 is to do it from a CD/DVD drive directly connected to the server on which you want to have SQL installed to.

I am surprised that it is not possible to install SQL from a virtual CD drive with an ISO file, some of our servers have a temporary CD/DVD drive attached when making the base OS install which is then removed when fitting into the rack.

Can't believe this behaviour is by design.

Anyhow thought I would share my experiences with SQL installations thus far,hopefully it will help someone.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment