Friday, February 17, 2012

Error: Subreport could not be shown.

New to SSRS, I'm trying to add a very simple subreport to my report, but am
getting the above noted error. The problem seems to have to do with passing
the parameter, because:
- The subreport runs fine standalone from the designer if I make the
parameter unhidden and execute it by manually entering the parameter value.
- The subreport runs fine within the parent report if I substitute the
parameter reference in the sub's dataset with a hard-coded value, and do not
attempt to pass a parameter from the parent
- Essentially, any time I try to pass a parameter - no matter what the
value - it fails. For instance, the subreport fails when I try to pass the
parameter, even if I set the subreport dataset to "SELECT 1" and put a static
text value in both the parent's parameter value and the subreport's textbox.
This seems like it should be so simple to do! Please help!
TIA,
Joel
PS - I created/wired the subreport as follows:
- New report
- Single, string parameter
- Table data region
- Dataset referencing the parameter, and referenced by the table
- Textbox within the table, referencing the single column returned in the
dataset
- Within table data region in parent report, subreport object:
- referencing the subreport by choosing from dropdown list
- parameter referencing the subreport report object and a field from the
parent data set, both values selected from the dropdown lists providedI seem to have resolved this. I *think* that the problem was that I had made
the parameter 'internal/hidden,' but I was unable to detect it because VS was
failing to deploy the report. When I deleted the report from the server and
then then re-deployed, the problem went away.
Joel
"JoelB" wrote:
> New to SSRS, I'm trying to add a very simple subreport to my report, but am
> getting the above noted error. The problem seems to have to do with passing
> the parameter, because:
> - The subreport runs fine standalone from the designer if I make the
> parameter unhidden and execute it by manually entering the parameter value.
> - The subreport runs fine within the parent report if I substitute the
> parameter reference in the sub's dataset with a hard-coded value, and do not
> attempt to pass a parameter from the parent
> - Essentially, any time I try to pass a parameter - no matter what the
> value - it fails. For instance, the subreport fails when I try to pass the
> parameter, even if I set the subreport dataset to "SELECT 1" and put a static
> text value in both the parent's parameter value and the subreport's textbox.
> This seems like it should be so simple to do! Please help!
> TIA,
> Joel
> PS - I created/wired the subreport as follows:
> - New report
> - Single, string parameter
> - Table data region
> - Dataset referencing the parameter, and referenced by the table
> - Textbox within the table, referencing the single column returned in the
> dataset
> - Within table data region in parent report, subreport object:
> - referencing the subreport by choosing from dropdown list
> - parameter referencing the subreport report object and a field from the
> parent data set, both values selected from the dropdown lists provided
>|||On Jan 7, 1:14 pm, JoelB <Jo...@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I seem to have resolved this. I *think* that the problem was that I had made
> the parameter 'internal/hidden,' but I was unable to detect it because VS was
> failing to deploy the report. When I deleted the report from the server and
> then then re-deployed, the problem went away.
> Joel
> "JoelB" wrote:
> > New to SSRS, I'm trying to add a very simple subreport to my report, but am
> > getting the above noted error. The problem seems to have to do with passing
> > the parameter, because:
> > - The subreport runs fine standalone from the designer if I make the
> > parameter unhidden and execute it by manually entering the parameter value.
> > - The subreport runs fine within the parent report if I substitute the
> > parameter reference in the sub's dataset with a hard-coded value, and do not
> > attempt to pass a parameter from the parent
> > - Essentially, any time I try to pass a parameter - no matter what the
> > value - it fails. For instance, the subreport fails when I try to pass the
> > parameter, even if I set the subreport dataset to "SELECT 1" and put a static
> > text value in both the parent's parameter value and the subreport's textbox.
> > This seems like it should be so simple to do! Please help!
> > TIA,
> > Joel
> > PS - I created/wired the subreport as follows:
> > - New report
> > - Single, string parameter
> > - Table data region
> > - Dataset referencing the parameter, and referenced by the table
> > - Textbox within the table, referencing the single column returned in the
> > dataset
> > - Within table data region in parent report, subreport object:
> > - referencing the subreport by choosing from dropdown list
> > - parameter referencing the subreport report object and a field from the
> > parent data set, both values selected from the dropdown lists provided
You might have not set the dataset of the subreport once you deployed
it to the Report Manager via th Properties tab. Also, this error
occurs sometimes when no data is returned from the subreport to the
main report. Hope this helps going forward.
Regards,
Enrique Martinez
Sr. Software Consultant|||Enrique,
Thanks for your response. I was a little careless in saying that it wasn't
deploying. What we have experienced with this report and other reports on
occasion is that sometimes the reports don't deploy completely...like some
settings don't get updated. Of late we have started to notice a trend that
the problems usually have to do with parameters and related properties. When
we delete the report from the server and then deploy, the problems go away.
We have not seen any instances where we have had to alter the datasource in
the report properties on the server.
Thanks again,
Joel
"EMartinez" wrote:
> On Jan 7, 1:14 pm, JoelB <Jo...@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I seem to have resolved this. I *think* that the problem was that I had made
> > the parameter 'internal/hidden,' but I was unable to detect it because VS was
> > failing to deploy the report. When I deleted the report from the server and
> > then then re-deployed, the problem went away.
> >
> > Joel
> >
> > "JoelB" wrote:
> > > New to SSRS, I'm trying to add a very simple subreport to my report, but am
> > > getting the above noted error. The problem seems to have to do with passing
> > > the parameter, because:
> >
> > > - The subreport runs fine standalone from the designer if I make the
> > > parameter unhidden and execute it by manually entering the parameter value.
> > > - The subreport runs fine within the parent report if I substitute the
> > > parameter reference in the sub's dataset with a hard-coded value, and do not
> > > attempt to pass a parameter from the parent
> > > - Essentially, any time I try to pass a parameter - no matter what the
> > > value - it fails. For instance, the subreport fails when I try to pass the
> > > parameter, even if I set the subreport dataset to "SELECT 1" and put a static
> > > text value in both the parent's parameter value and the subreport's textbox.
> >
> > > This seems like it should be so simple to do! Please help!
> >
> > > TIA,
> > > Joel
> >
> > > PS - I created/wired the subreport as follows:
> >
> > > - New report
> > > - Single, string parameter
> > > - Table data region
> > > - Dataset referencing the parameter, and referenced by the table
> > > - Textbox within the table, referencing the single column returned in the
> > > dataset
> > > - Within table data region in parent report, subreport object:
> > > - referencing the subreport by choosing from dropdown list
> > > - parameter referencing the subreport report object and a field from the
> > > parent data set, both values selected from the dropdown lists provided
>
> You might have not set the dataset of the subreport once you deployed
> it to the Report Manager via th Properties tab. Also, this error
> occurs sometimes when no data is returned from the subreport to the
> main report. Hope this helps going forward.
> Regards,
> Enrique Martinez
> Sr. Software Consultant
>

No comments:

Post a Comment