Friday, February 17, 2012

Error: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException ...

Error: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040428): Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040428 at DTS.PackageClass.Execute() at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Tasks.Exec80PackageTask.Exec80PackageTask.ExecuteThread()

Can anyone tell what caused this error when I tried to run the DTS package from my SSIS package ?

Thanks.

Steve

I had the same problem....drove me batty. Packages run fine using Execute Package utility in SSMS - but fail when running as a scheduled job, or called from within a Stored Procedure - failed every time.

I found my particular issue was not permission, per say, but rather the Exception file, I was referencing in the Data Driven Query task - which kept failing. Once I removed the Exception File, everything runs fine.

|||

I have had a similar problem running a SQL2000 DTS job from within an SSIS package. The strange thing I found that on the production server, it would readily run the job, yet a similarly created DTS on the development servers failed.

What was the "Exception file" that you had to remove?

|||

If you trust the internal logic of your package, then an error condition - especially from an Agent job - usually points to the package's interaction with external resources; in particular, to permissions issues. That's probably why no longer trying to write to an exception file solved the problem for the other gentleman. Check the package's use of database connections and file system resources, and determine whether the account under which it's executing does indeed have the required rights to connect, to read and write, etc.

Here's the Agent Job kb article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;918760

-Doug

|||

I have rewrote the DTS package into a stored procedure that

1) Truncates the target tables

2) Copy the data from the source on another database to the target tables

3) Backs up the target database.

Now the account that would not run the DTS package runs a stored procedure successfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment