Thursday, March 29, 2012

Estimating needed size when replicating

Hi,
Can somebody tell how to make an estimation of the size needed when creating a 'consult' DB with snapshot replication ?
Thanks !Five liters.

If you can be a bit more specific, I can be a bit more serious ;)

-PatP|||:rolleyes:
sorry, i ment how much extra size is there needed besides the size of the database itself, like for systemtables and that kind of stuff...|||The overhead within the database is trivial. I'd allow a megabyte or two tops.

Now the distribution server (both database and snapshot file space) can be a very different story!

-PatP|||There is no difference in size between the published database and the resulting snapshot on the subscriber. Subscriber's disk subsystem needs to be as fast if not faster than the publisher's. Depending on the origin of invocation (I hate this style of writing myself, so don't laugh) of the distribution agent subscriber's CPU may take quite a bit of a hit. Network, interestingly, is very often the bottleneck. To minimize its affects, use Alternate location with compression (default location does not support compression option).|||There is no difference in size between the published database and the resulting snapshot on the subscriber. Subscriber's disk subsystem needs to be as fast if not faster than the publisher's. Depending on the origin of invocation (I hate this style of writing myself, so don't laugh) of the distribution agent subscriber's CPU may take quite a bit of a hit. Network, interestingly, is very often the bottleneck. To minimize its affects, use Alternate location with compression (default location does not support compression option).At least on my servers, I get a handful of tables in the publisher that track the replication details (like syspublications, sysarticles, etc). The overhead is trivial, but it is there.

I've never had problems with disk speed... The distributor always takes up the slack for me.

I never use compression with databases. Maybe that's because I got bit so badly years ago, but I've never been able to justify doing it since.

-PatP|||Pat, "years ago" alternate location and compression weren't supported, so I don't know what you're referring to ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment