Thursday, March 29, 2012

Estimating time for creation of clustered index

I asked my SQL Server to create me a clustered index on a 200,000ish
row table. It's taking rather longer than I expected. But, I don't
really know how long I should have expected it to take. How can I
estimate that?
Thanks!
IonDo you have a backup of the database? A pretty reliable way to see how this
will impact your production system is to restore it (on another server,
another instance, or on the same instance with a different database name),
and create the clustered index on the copy. It will be slightly affected by
factors such as different hardware and different activity, but unless the
situation is extreme, it should be within an order of magnitude.
I have not seen anything that resembles a formula for predicting how long a
clustered index will take, without doing any actual work. There are so many
variables involved, I think it will be every difficult to approach anything
even remotely trustworthy.
<ionFreeman@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1142528571.960565.264770@.j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I asked my SQL Server to create me a clustered index on a 200,000ish
> row table. It's taking rather longer than I expected. But, I don't
> really know how long I should have expected it to take. How can I
> estimate that?
> Thanks!
> Ion
>

No comments:

Post a Comment