Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Errors while upsizing Access database to SQLS2k

I am trying to upsize an Access database to SQL Server 2000. I select
"Create new database" option.
I select "LOCAL" as the database. and check [x] use trusted connection.
SQL server is on this local machine. I supply a name for the new
database and click [Next>] and I get the following error.
================================================== ===============
Connection failed:
SQLState: '01000'
SQL Server Error: 53
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionOpen
(Connect()).
Connection failed:
SQLState: '08001'
SQL Server Error: 17
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist
or access denied.
================================================== ===============
Why am I getting these errors?
SQL Server is installed to accept mixed mode (or Windows authentication
mode)
SQL Server is running.
VS.Net Professional is loaded on this system so an ODBC driver should
be available.
What steps, other than I am taking should I be doing?
Are you doing this on the machine that MSDE is running on? If you are trying
to do this remotely then you will not be able to connect to the database
server, since you supplied DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=1 as a parameter to your
installation. Also since you installed a named instance you will need to
supply the full name to the instance, which in your case will be <your
machine name>\HipMSDE. (local) will not work as the database server name, as
it will try to connect to a server with only the same name as the machine
and not the named instance.
Jim
"dbuchanan" <dbuchanan52@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1107749903.811964.185300@.g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
>I am trying to upsize an Access database to SQL Server 2000. I select
> "Create new database" option.
> I select "LOCAL" as the database. and check [x] use trusted connection.
> SQL server is on this local machine. I supply a name for the new
> database and click [Next>] and I get the following error.
> ================================================== ===============
> Connection failed:
> SQLState: '01000'
> SQL Server Error: 53
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionOpen
> (Connect()).
> Connection failed:
> SQLState: '08001'
> SQL Server Error: 17
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist
> or access denied.
> ================================================== ===============
> Why am I getting these errors?
> SQL Server is installed to accept mixed mode (or Windows authentication
> mode)
> SQL Server is running.
> VS.Net Professional is loaded on this system so an ODBC driver should
> be available.
> What steps, other than I am taking should I be doing?
>
|||Jim,
Thank you for your reply.
When I changed the name to the name of my computer "SEDNA", it worked!
I thought "(local)" was the proper name to use because the upsizing
wizard offered it in the list. I thought it "discovered" that name, and
after all the name in Enterprize manager is "(local)" not "SEDNA". Now
that you let me in on this sectret, I know. Thank you for tell me the
other scret, that I can upsize to MSDE using "SEDNA\HipMSDE". There is
know whay I could have guessed this!
This all frustrates me very much! How am I supposed to know to use
"SEDNA" rather than "(local)" when "(local)" is offered to me in the
list? and Enterprize manager does not use "SEDNA"? How am I supposed to
know the sintax "SEDNA\HipMSDE" when that is NOT offered in the list?
How am I supposed to know the secret code "SEDNA\HipMSDE"? Nothing
anywhere tells me this sintax!!?!

> it will try to connect to a server with only the same name as the
machine
> and not the named instance
Where the #%$* am I supposed to discover this! I've been reading these
instructions for two days!!!?! I have not seen anything even hinting to
this.
Why does the system mislead me and accept "(local)" under othere
contexts such as VB.NET connection strings. It was the VB.NET
connection string context that lead me to guess "SEDNA" because that
works in a connection string even though the name of the instance is
NOT!!!! "SEDNA", its the name of the machine.
Where do I learn all these mysteries?
Doug
Jim Young wrote:
> Are you doing this on the machine that MSDE is running on? If you are
trying
> to do this remotely then you will not be able to connect to the
database
> server, since you supplied DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=1 as a parameter
to your
> installation. Also since you installed a named instance you will need
to
> supply the full name to the instance, which in your case will be
<your
> machine name>\HipMSDE. (local) will not work as the database server
name, as
> it will try to connect to a server with only the same name as the
machine[vbcol=seagreen]
> and not the named instance.
> Jim
> "dbuchanan" <dbuchanan52@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1107749903.811964.185300@.g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
select[vbcol=seagreen]
connection.[vbcol=seagreen]
exist[vbcol=seagreen]
authentication[vbcol=seagreen]
should[vbcol=seagreen]
|||hi,
dbuchanan wrote:
> This all frustrates me very much! How am I supposed to know to use
> "SEDNA" rather than "(local)" when "(local)" is offered to me in the
> list? and Enterprize manager does not use "SEDNA"? How am I supposed
> to know the sintax "SEDNA\HipMSDE" when that is NOT offered in the
> list? How am I supposed to know the secret code "SEDNA\HipMSDE"?
> Nothing anywhere tells me this sintax!!?!
>.....
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...setup_2xmb.asp
you can download BOL (BookOnLine) from
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinf...2000/books.asp
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.10.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.56.0
(my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
interface)
-- remove DMO to reply

No comments:

Post a Comment